Dating advice: Public displays of affection
If you haven’t been keeping up with the Kardashians, you might not be aware that Bruce and Kris Jenner have decided to divorce. It hasn’t taken either of them too long to get back in the game; there were reports of Bruce dating someone new just a week ago.
The other day, we caught a glimpse of Kris holding hands with her new beau Corey Gamble. Apparently, Kris and Corey, a road manager for Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun’s SB Projects, have been doing more than just holding hands; cozying up on a Mexican retreat is more like it.
The couple just met in August, and their instant friendship quickly turned into something more, which is probably why we’re seeing all those public displays of affection, or PDAs. This casts light on some important dating advice: just because you’re a new couple doesn’t mean everyone else wants to see you making out.
The basics of PDAs
There are no two ways about it; people are going to hug, hold hands, and kiss in public. However, there are some lines that should not be crossed out of respect to those around you. Here are a few common-sense principles of PDAs.
- If kids are around, just don’t. Holding hands and a quick kiss on the lips isn’t a big deal with children are around, but it’s best to keep PDAs to a minimum. If the mood strikes you to display your love for each other, just look around first.
- It’s not appropriate in a restaurant. Do you want to watch others make out while you’re trying to eat? If you are like most people, you probably don’t. Offer others the same respect and play some footsie instead.
- Don’t embarrass the third wheel. If the two of you are chilling with one other person, just wait until you’re alone. It’s no fun feeling like a third wheel, and having to watch repeated PDAs can be a bit traumatizing.
- Stay out of the way. If you’re snuggling up to your sweetheart or even making out, don’t block the path. This means doorways, hallways, pathways… you get the picture.
- No straddling! Unless you’re riding a motorcycle, there really is no excuse to straddle someone in public, so wait until you’re alone for this type of behavior.